Saturday, June 5, 2010

Catching up with Great Friends

Our family had a very busy week this week!



On Sunday, our friend Kate came to visit. We met Kate when we lived in Japan. Her brother-in-law was the youth leader in Yokosuka and Steven and I were two of his volunteers. Kate arrived in Japan the same day I did, stayed for a semester as an MWR intern, and then moved to Hawaii with her parents, but we stayed in touch until she moved back to Yokosuka for a few months before heading down to Okinawa to help with the youth ministry program on Kadena Base.

Kate lived in Yokosuka (and joined me on some fantastic karaoke trips!!) while I was pregnant, but hadn't met Jackson yet! Let me tell you - he was in LOVE. Kate got more kisses than Steven and I combined for the few days she was here. She was so sweet to play with Jackson and watch him while I took care of a few things around the house. I wish I had thought to get a picture of the two of them together. It was such a blessing to have Kate here, but we miss her so much already! I can't wait to see her again when our paths cross again one day.

Kate left Wednesday morning and we went to a play date, but Jackson was "being a toot" (the phrase I use when Jackson is misbeahving and not listening), so we had to leave early and come home. I felt awful taking him away from his friends, but Jackson was pushing and pulling the other kids and he never acts that way, so I knew something was up. He went to take a nap and I started packing for our trip to Austin and San Antonio the next day.


Steven's cousin Kaylee graduated from high school this weekend (Woo-hoo class of 2010!!!), so we took the chance to stop in Austin on our way to San Antonio to see our friends, Lauren and Jon. Lauren is Steven's friend from high school and she was one of my bridesmaids in our wedding. Jon and Lauren were married about 6 months after us and just had a baby named Aedan almost 3 months ago. Meeting Aedan was such a blessing, not only because he was such a sweetie-pie, but also because I remember talking to Lauren about how much she and Jon wanted to start a family when Jackson was about Aedan's age. Jon and Lauren are such great friends and wonderful parents and I loved meeting sweet Aedan.


Jackson was so gentle with Aedan, but wanted to make sure I knew that I was a Jackson-mommy, not an Aedan-mommy (Don't worry Jacks, Aedan already has a great mommy who loves him very much!). Still Jackson gave Aedan kisses and wanted to help me bounce him in his bouncy seat (as you can see in the picture above!).


After checking out Lauren and Jon's house (and their awesome pegola - add that to Steven's honey-do list!), we headed out to one of their favorite spots - Hey Cupcake! I gotta say, it did not disappoint! Jackson certainly enjoyed his yummy desert. I had to borrow wipes from Lauren so he didn't ruin his shirt. We are working on baby signs and Jackson says "please" by rubbing his chest and belly - not good when his hands are dirty!!


Jackson is doing really well with the baby signs he has learned - all done, more, please, and thank you. I am so proud of him for being so polite and using these signs instead of whining for what he wants (usually food or a sippy cup).


I love this picture (above) of Jackson and Aedan - haha! Jackson looks really excited about being next to Aedan and Aedan is giving him a "Who the heck are you and why are you touching my stroller?" look. They really did get along well and were both so well-behaved as we walked around and enjoyed catching up with each other. We hope to see Lauren and Jon again very soon so we can show them our house and catch up on our conversation that was cut short by two kiddos with early bedtimes. Even still, it was really wonderful to see them and steal some baby cuddles from little Aedan.

No comments: