Friday, October 14, 2011

Let's go to the Barn!

A couple weeks ago (I feel like all my posts start that way - I'm not very on top of it!), I picked up Jackson from preschool and he asked me if we could "go to the barn." I started to tell him no because I had an errand to run, but then I remembered that there is a little historical museum in Plano set on a former farm (the Heritage Farmstead Museum - if you grew up in Plano, you've probably been there!). Since I only had to pick up thank you and sympathy cards from Hallmark, I decided we could get that out of the way, and then head on over.

Unfortunately, I didn't realize that the museum was closed on Mondays, so we had to come back on Wednesday afternoon.

Since we knew ahead of time that we would be going, I remembered to bring my mother-in-law's "fancy" camera. Since we don't have a DSLR, she lets me borrow hers in exchange for pictures of the grandkids, which is so nice of her!


I made a mistake - I should have taken my Moby wrap with me. Instead, I brought Brenna in her car seat... and lugged it all over the property. Oops! I am developing some pretty impressive callouses on my hands, especially right under my wedding band. I don't remember having callouses when Jackson was a baby, but maybe I've just forgotten.


After peeking in on the chickens, Jackson, Brenna, and I went over to the school house. It was a cool little place for Jackson to explore, and he had fun checking out the desks. He looks so innocent here - hard to believe that he is already more than half-way to entering Kindergarten. When I think about that and the fun times we've had together, it makes me so happy that I decided to stay home with him (and Brenna too!)



We took a picture on the porch too. Sweet Brenna slept the whole time we were there. She is so easy-going so much of the time, but this week she has been more vocal about what she wants. Often, she wants me over anyone else, and she wants me to stand up while I hold her so she can look over my shoulder. It's amazing that such a little girl can have such big opinions!


Can you spot a ghost in this picture? She's a hot (mess) mama taking a picture in the window on the right. Jackson was so cute - posing and saying cheese between running off to explore the farm. His shirt doesn't really fit in with the nineteenth century experience. I let him pick out his clothes every morning and this is a present from his Mimi from one of her (many) trips to the aquarium. It's very cute and he loved the animal-shaped letters.


Here's Jackson on the front porch of the gorgeous house. I didn't dare take him inside. I remember coming to this museum when I was in elementary school. Actually, my middle school was named for one of the women who owned this property. Anyway, I remember a lot of directions not to touch, and lots of ropes with signs reiterating that command. This is also why we didn't pursue a White House tour when we visited DC. I just don't really want to put myself or my kids in that situation. It was fun playing on the porch though, and we got a look at the mules (I think??) next to the house.


We almost.... almost forget that we were in the middle of the suburbs until the cars rushed by and I caught a glimpse of the nail salon across the street. I don't think I could live out in the middle of nowhere anyway, I really REALLY hate 2-lane highways. I beg Steven to avoid the one behind our house at all costs.


My sweet kids. Seeing them get along so well (even if it may change one day - I hope it doesn't!!) makes my heart melt.


Next, we headed over to the turkey shack. It was so funny to listen to them - gobble gobble gobble. Of course, I was playing helicopter Mom - "Jackson, look at the turkeys, do you see them? DON'T PUT YOUR FINGERS IN THE CAGE! Oh no, honey, it's ok, you can see the turkeys, just don't try to touch them." Oh it will be a wonder if I can raise this boy without a complex. Poor first child.


We came here when Jackson was little - about 9 months. One of my blog headers is from that day (obviously, I am desperately in need of an update - groaaaan). Oddly enough, I realized on the drive out that I was wearing the same shirt I had worn the first time we came. It's a grey shirt with "University of North Texas" written on it in turquoise. Steven and I support each other's schools for two reasons - 1. We are married and we love and support each other and 2. UNT's football program is basically non-existent. I can't say much though, CU has had a tough time since the 2005 season. And by "tough time" I mean "I stopped following them because it was so depressing."


On the other hand, this is not at all depressing. Jackson thought the chickens were pretty cool, but he really wanted to see a cow.


Solved.

Even though Brenna slept through the whole outing, I felt like we all had a good time. It was fun, inexpensive, and not too far to drive. I've always wanted to do family pictures here, maybe one day we'll be able to make that happen.

No comments: