Saturday, July 7, 2012

VBS, Soccer, and The Fourth of July

This summer we've had a lot of downtime - no traveling, lots of lazy days at home, but it still feels like we've had a lot going on!

Brenna & me, dropping off Jackson in his classroom on Friday morning. Yes, we washed our VBS shirts everyday.
I was the Snack Leader for our church's Vacation Bible School this year. Since I was volunteering, Jackson and Brenna were able to participate in VBS too. My sweet friends Penny and Mary called one day to offer me the spot so I could be available to dash to the nursery if Brenna needed me. It was a great fit and I had so much fun with the kids and the other volunteers. The vast majority of volunteers were youth and college students - we are so blessed by them and the kids love them so much.

Jackson and Miss Michelle - she was his class aide when he was in the twos and she is his Sunday School teacher this year. Jackson loves her and we feel so lucky to have Miss Michelle in our lives.
 VBS was great and I can't wait for next year. Jackson had so much fun and I wasn't called to the nursery even once the whole week.


Logan and Brenna - two of their littlest cheerleaders!
We just wrapped up a fun season of soccer, making me a certified "soccer mom." This is Jackson's second season playing indoor soccer with his friends.

Jackson had so much fun on the field and even scored a few goals. He had a large cheering section too - in addition to Steven, Brenna, and me, both sets of grandparents made it out to at least one game to cheer him on. Of course, I had a great time spending time with my mommy friends and our "second generation" of play group kids.  

Donuts after the game and medal - what more could a little boy want?
 Each week the kids played a game for about 40 minutes or so, then had a snack, and then played on this little tree you see below. Honestly, I would have thought it would be too small and not exciting enough, but the kids begged and begged to play on it each week. It was pretty cute watching them all cram inside.

Jackson and THE tree.
Our city has an annual Fourth of July Celebration (doesn't every city?) with bounce houses, music, food vendors, and of course, fireworks. Actually, it reminds me of the celebrations that we used to have on base in Japan. It creates a great sense of community and that's part of why we love Allen so much.

Mom, the sun's in my eyes!
This was the first year we actually went to the celebration; usually we stay home (where it's cool and not crowded) and watch the fireworks from our backyard after the kids have gone to bed. This year, we thought it would be fun to check it out for an hour. Jackson tore it up on the bounce houses and Steven ran into an old friend, but one hour was really all we could handle. I wanted to stay for the food (Dippin Dots! Turkey Legs! YUM!), but the heat was just too much so we headed over to Cheesecake Factory where it was nice and cool. I felt a little silly walking past the valet stand covered in sweat and still in our park clothes, but we had a fun night out together as a family.

The best picture I could get at the Independence Day Celebration. Jackson was not feeling the picture session, obviously.
One HUGE benefit to our house, which we didn't even think about when we bought it, is that we have the best view of the fireworks show in the entire city. Every year people park behind our house to watch them and then have to fight serious traffic on their way home. We just wait inside until we hear the fireworks going off and head out back to watch the show. Our neighbors are usually out there too, which only adds to the fun. Every year I go inside and tell Steven that we're never ever going to move.

All my dreams come true.
And here is what we've REALLY been up to the summer - beating the heat with indoor activities: art projects, free play, and of course, movies.

I love this toothy grin so very much. One year ago, I was waiting (impatiently!) to meet you. Two years ago, I was devastated that I wasn't yet pregnant. Brenna, you were SO worth the wait.
The truth about our house: craft stuff spilling everywhere, all three of us crammed on one couch, and Disney Jr playing in the background. Here's to being real and here's to the next 6 weeks of summer!

2 comments:

Ashley and Matt Sheehan said...

Love it!!!! We for sure want to play soccer again the next time...remember picture day is friday :-)

The Haynes Family said...

Can't wait for picture day!! :)