Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Nana

You may remember my post in September about our exciting trip with my Dad to go visit my Nana.


At the time, I talked about the fact that I brought Jackson to see her so we could later on tell her about all the fun they had had together because she had Alzheimer's. There was also a second reason, which went unsaid, but became a reality this December.

Last month, my Nana had a heart attack, which caused her to fall and break her hip. We've known that she has Osteoporosis as a result of malnourishment as a child, but she's beaten a broken hip before. Unfortunately, her body was much more frail this time, and the doctor didn't think she would make it through the week. My Dad flew back from Taiwan to see her, and my sister and I took that as a cue that we should be there too.

As she did with the Alzheimer's diagnosis, Nana surprised everyone by fighting through and outlasting the doctor's expectations, but her body just wasn't strong enough to win this time. Early in the morning on December 20, my Nana passed away to be with her husband and brothers and sisters in Heaven. She was 88 years old.

I flew up again for the funeral and learned a lot about my Nana in the days that followed. She once applied for a job as a house cleaner, only to find out, after receiving the job, that she was really applying to make bombs for the war effort. She worked hard to earn a high school education as an adult, and as a result received her first office job, which she loved because it was the first time in her life she was able to dress up for work. She loved to tell stories, and she would repeat the same stories over and over again, but to the same people every time. My cousins knew different stories from my sister and me. My Nana's life impacted more people than I realized. There were a few of my Dad and Aunt's friends who stood out in particular, and they told me how profoundly her hospitality had affected them in their childhood.


I miss my Nana like crazy, and it's both harder and easier knowing that she was gone before she passed. I'll always remember the little joys of those last few visits with her. Watching Nana play with Jackson, the few moments when she realized who I was, and the times she told me that she loved me even though I knew she couldn't remember why.

I like to think she's in Heaven with my Papa, who passed away 25 years ago, and whose wedding ring she wore right until the end.

Miss you Nana. I love you & goodbye.

1 comment:

Kelly Minikus said...

Ally we are so sorry to hear about your loss. I am glad that she had the experience of meeting her great grandson. You and your family will be in our prayers.