Thursday, March 11, 2010

Lazy Days at Home

We don't spend a lot of time at home. We're usually bouncing from play date to play date... and my growing to-do list (and messy house) can attest to that.

But when it's gross and rainy outside, we often stay home, and I have to find new ways to entertain Jackson, especially if he's particularly interested in what I'm doing and insists on offering his help. In these times, I have a secret weapon...


I strip Jackson down to his diaper, plop him in his highchair, grab some spoons and cups, fill them with water, and let him splash his little heart out.


Here he is with the essentials: a cup for pouring, a shallow, non-breakable bowl (or tupperware), a plastic mixing spoon, and two floaty toys (of course!).


It's so much fun! I always got frustrated with Jackson playing in the water in Val's water bowl, which he eventually broke. Finally, after seeing that one of my friends had allowed her kids to finger paint, I realized that we could make a mess too!


While I wasn't ready to commit to paint yet, this seemed like a perfect compromise! Jackson doesn't seem to mind at all! And it gives me some time to get the dishwasher unloaded or to organize a cabinet.

In fact... I need to do some laundry tomorrow... Jackson, get your ducks, it's time to splash!

No comments: