Wednesday, November 4, 2009

The House (groooooan)

Our new house is not coming along as quickly as we had hoped it would. We thought that we would be able to get all of our projects done in one month's time. Well, it's been 6 weeks since we signed the dotted line and we definitely AREN'T done.

We have painted the pink room (ick) green, with a brown accent wall. I was really worried when we got the paint on the wall and our friends used bodily functions to describe the color (trust me, you don't want to know), but having already purchased 2 gallons ($40) worth of paint, I gritted my teeth and put it on the wall anyway. Luckily, I had already planned for a brown accent wall, so I just changed the brown to the only bare wall in the room (no doors or windows) and hoped for the best! I think it turned out perfectly. The brown balances out the green and makes it really feel like a jungle room. Jackson's off-white furniture will balance out the dark colors and really pop. I am so excited to see how it turns out when we get all the furniture in there. I'm not sure that the green will work when, I mean if we have a girl, but that's what paint cans are for! (If Steven is reading this, he is groaning right now)

We also painted the upstairs family room a medium blue-gray color. Think Eeyore. I love the color, but it would really pop with some crown molding. Guess what was just added to Steven's "to-do" list!! It also made me realize how desperately we need window treatments and additional light sources in that room. All the light comes from one window and somehow the back-light effect makes the room seem really dark, especially with the new color. I think once we balance out the light, it will feel less cavernous and more like the fun family room I had envisioned.

In addtion to painting 2 rooms, we have picked out colors for just about every room in the house, replaced all the laminate with tile (yaaaaay!), and will replace the living room floors with hardwood this weekend. Hiring a painter to finish the house is becoming more and more tempting every day. We already plan to hire someone to paint the halls, front entry, stairs, and living room, but that still leaves the kitchen, laundry room, Steven's office, Jackson's play room, all the bathrooms, our bedroom, the guest bedroom, and Jackson's toddler room. Remind me, again, why we felt the need to buy a huge house?

Also, if I don't mention that Steven replaced the back door he'll kill me. He saved us about $250 in doing so, and it looks great and works better than before. Let's hear it for DIY and telling Lowe's installation crew to take some time off!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Believe me, I know how home projects seem to always take longer than planned. It sounds like you guys have gotten a lot done though! I can't wait to see it!

Clint and Ashleigh said...

It seems to me like you have a ton done already! DIY rocks my socks!

The Haynes Family said...

Thanks for the encouragement guys :)