Saturday, February 28, 2009

The Married Survey

I "stole" this from Steven's friend, Lauren. Here goes...!

"Living our Love Song"
The story of Steven Andrew and Alison Louise Haynes (Scott)


1) Did you have a traditional Proposal?

Yes. Steven and I went ring shopping after dating for 2 months (!!!). I asked him to wait to propose to me because I wasn't ready yet. Six months later, Steven came to visit me for TriDelt's Spring Formal. Sunday morning we got up and drove up the mountain (we decided we were too lazy to go hiking) and Steven was fumbling in his backpack. I asked him what he was doing & he asked if I wanted any gum. I said I did and assumed he was getting another piece for himself and walked away. He followed me, got down on both knees and told me that there was one thing he wanted to change about me. I asked what that was (a little offended!) he showed me the ring and said "I wish you had my last name." I started to cry and he asked me to marry him. I just nodded and we kissed. It was a great proposal. You can see how beautiful it is in these photos. The next day we had a freak snowstorm, crashed my car, and the airport shut down, so Steven couldn't fly back to Virginia. It was nice to have the extra days together, but he was in trouble when he got back! He told them it was worth it. :)



2) When was your wedding day?
Our Wedding was August 5, 2006. Our Marriage was January 3, 2006. We had to get married (legally) early because Steven needed a marriage license to complete the paperwork to get me over to Japan.

3) What day of the week was it?
Our wedding was on a Saturday.

4) Church/court/other?
We first were married in court and I didn't wear a dress or invite anyone to attend because I didn't want it to overshadow our wedding. Steven's parents gave us a mini-honeymoon in Frisco and my parents took our families out to 3 Forks to celebrate. Our wedding was at Christ United Methodist Church, the church where I grew up.


5) What song played while the bride walked down the aisle?
"Here comes the Bride" I think... I don't really remember. All I remember is trying not to trip, seeing Steven crying, and feeling very self-conscious.


6) How many in your wedding party?
Lots!! 7 bridesmaids and 7 groomsmen.



7) How many guests were invited to your wedding?
At least 150, but probably closer to 175. I think 125 people showed up.

8) How long were you engaged?
We were engaged for 8 months before the "marriage" and then another 8 months before the wedding. So technically, 16 months.

9) Who did you hire as your photographer/videographer?
My Mom was very impressed with my sister's friend's Dad, who is a photographer. He doesn't usually do weddings, but decided to make an exception for our family. He was great! I forget our videographer's name (oops), but he did a great job too! We sit down and watch our wedding video every anniversary and I wouldn't trade that DVD for the world. It means everything to me to be able to relive those moments.

10) Did you have a DJ or a band?
We hired DJ David Allen! He was awesome! He also acted as MC and really made the reception special and fun! Almost all of our guests were still there when we left.

11) Did your father walk you down the aisle?
Yes! I love my Daddy. I wouldn't have had it any other way. In fact, that picture (above), is one of my favorites.

12) What color were the bridesmaid dresses & groomsmen vests?
Bridesmaid dresses were pink with a yellow sash. The groomsmen vests were yellow... and apparently that was NOT a popular choice. Sorry guys! :)


13) Who was your Maid Of Honor/ Best Man?
My Maid of Honor was my sister, Emily. While we were growing up, my Mom told us that we would be each other's Maid of Honor at each other's weddings. I thought it was silly at the time, but she's right. Friends may come and go but sisters are forever. Steven's Best Man was his brother, Chris.

14) Did you have a bridal shower?
Yes, Steven's Mom and her friend, Lisa, threw me a shower I'll never forget! The games were hilarious and Terri... I mean... "someone" had a very special box for me... I think it was a "honeymoon kit." I won't go in to details, but my face was very red!


15) What type of limo did you get?
My Dad rented a Cadillac and drove us around, bless his heart! My cousins were very impressed with "Uncle Dave's car" until they found out that Uncle Dave had to have it back by 8:00 the next morning.

16) Where did you go for your Bachelorette/Bachelor Party?
Terri, my Mom, my Mom's friend Jean, my bridesmaids and I went to a spa and each got to choose 2-3 treatments. I had a mani/pedi and a massage. Afterwards, we went to Cozymel's (which has since been bulldozed! boo!) and we had margaritas. It was so fun! Steven's bachelor party was at Dave & Buster's.

17) The night before your wedding, did you sleep?
Haha, yes! I was already married!!

18) What type of wedding gown/tux did you two wear?
We called my dress the "fairy princess dress" because it was just that. I didn't think that I would want a poufy dress, but it was perfect. Steven wore a white tux with a white vest and shirt.


19) Did you have a veil?
Yes, it had clusters of 3 pearls all over it, which is what inspired my cake design.


20) What was the funniest moment from your wedding?
There were lots! I loved playing "The Newlywed Game" which involved the DJ asking questions about us and Steven and I each had to hold up a bride or groom bear to answer. At the end of the night, Steven made a comment to one of my bridesmaids "I made it through the whole day without crying." Which was a complete lie and everyone knew it... except Steven. I also loved when the groomsmen led us in the YMCA. So cheesy. So great.

21) How was the weather?
Sunny and hot!! What else can you expect in Texas in August though? I'm glad we had it inside.

22) Did your bridal party deck out the get away car?
No, which was good because it was a rental! They tried to get in to our hotel room, but my in-laws refused to tell them where we were staying. Finally, they stuffed our bags full of rose petals.

23) Where did you go on your Honeymoon?
New York City!! Neither one of us had been and we decided that that was where we wanted to go! We saw Phantom of the Opera and Wicked on Broadway, both of which seemed like impossible dreams! Steven even took me down to Bloomingdale's to go shopping (yay!). We also went on a harbor cruise and down to see where the World Trade Center once stood. Then we went to Canal street and bought a black market fake Gucci... just because we could. That was pretty exciting & super sketchy. It was SUCH a fun vacation and I can't wait to go back in a week to visit my sister!

24) What was your favorite part of your wedding day?
I loved having all of our friends and family there to celebrate with us.

25) How long have you been married?
3 years, 2 months.

26) Rings?
I have 3 round-cut stones with channel-set diamonds on each side. My wedding band has channel-set diamonds as well. I gave Steven a titanium "engagement ring" when he went to Japan because he wanted people to know that he was spoken for. He once told me that he wanted a white gold ring with a gold band down the middle, so I found it at James Avery and got it for him before the wedding. I surprised him at the altar with it. It's fun to watch that moment on the video.

27) Did the bride change her name?
Yes, of course!

28) Any anniversary traditions?
We have dinner at home and watch our wedding DVD.

29) Anything special about the day/time of year you were married?
We started dating in August, my birthday is in August, and we were married in August. Poor Steven... so many dates to remember!

This picture is the first picture taken of us as a "couple."

30) Words of wisdom?
Steven heard someone once say that the secret to a good marriage is to try to out-serve your spouse. Even though we forget that sometimes, I think it's absolutely true.

Alright all you married folks, let's hear your story!

2 comments:

Kate Cooper said...

"I wish you had my last name"!!!!! I didn't know that he said that! That is so romantic, I could just die! I love you guys!

Clint and Ashleigh said...

This is a fun post- you two have a cute story!