
This picture was taken a few weeks before the 5th anniversary of September 11, 2001. Steven and I were in New York City for our honeymoon and we decided to stop by the site where the twin towers once stood. Steven was in the Navy at the time, and visiting the site completely reaffirmed the need for his service to our country. It was a powerful moment, and I couldn't help but catch it on camera. This was the beginning of my "military service" as a military wife and civilian employee.
8 years ago I was a senior in high school. My first class started at 8:15, and the towers had been hit at 8:11 (central time), so I didn't hear about it until my second class. I met my friends at our English class, which was their first class of the day. They told me that the WTC had been hit by a plane. In that moment, I did not comprehend the full effect of what had happened. In the following days, I found out that one of the men from our church had been in the first tower when it was hit. He was able to get out, and offered to speak to our youth group about his experience. He explained to us how he survived and cried when he spoke about the firefighters he encountered on his way out of the towers. It was a great time in our country's history in the way we responded with a united front, but a horrible time in the loss that we all felt.
So, today I challenge everyone to pray. Pray for the families of the people who lost their lives that day. Pray that nothing like this ever happens again. Pray for our service members' safe return home to their families.
Pray that we never forget.
No comments:
Post a Comment