Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Dressing Up an $8 Table

We are trying to do our new house on a budget. I won't say exactly how much we have put aside, but I will say that 2800 sqft is a lot to live in... and a lot to decorate! So, of course, this table caught my eye at Ikea this weekend. For $8, how could I lose? The clean lines and simple shape already fit in with my Japanese-themed guest room. My idea was to spruce it up a little (thank you, HGTV), with some mod podge and some scrapbook paper. So, of course, I headed over to Joann's.

but not without an adorable picture of my favorite guy hanging out at Ikea first!


I picked up some scrapbook paper in pastel colors, origami paper (to give it an authentic feel), Mod Podge, and some brushes. Here are the materials for the project:

The paper cutter is on loan from my mother-in law. The pages were 12x12 originally and I cut them down to 7.5 x 7.5, 7.5 x 4.5 and 4.5 x 4.5 for variation. The sheets of origami paper were 6 x 6 and I left them alone to add more variation in sizes. Also, I chose Hard Coat Mod Podge for ultimate durability. You can find a breakdown of the different types of Mod Podge here, as well as some other Mod Podge craft ideas.

First, I added plain, white computer paper to the top of the (black) table-top (pre-assembly). I did this because the Mod Podge can make paper appear translucent, and I didn't want the black to show through.

Next, I laid out the pieces one by one, sticking each down as I went. I tried to make sure that I spaced out the colors so I didn't have patches of all one color. Then, I moved it to the dining room table (out of reach of baby's hands!) and added a coat of Mod Podge to the top, making horizontal strokes. I used a sponge brush, not the fancy bristle-brush in the picture... my sponge brush was drying and I didn't want to get the paper wet. After that coat had time to dry, I added another coat, using brush strokes perpendicular to the first coat. When it was dry (maybe 1-2 hours?) I screwed the legs on and left it to fully set over night.

Voila!


Look at how excited Jackson is to see the new table, as evidenced by his hand slapping it! Seeing what a perfect height the new table was for Jackson gave me an idea for his play room - another table like this, but red (instead of black) with scrapbook paper prints fitting for a little boy. I wouldn't have to worry about it getting dirty for crafts because it would blend in with the prints, and possibly even add character. I plan to make a second table like this one and add floor cushions for seating with a Japanese feel to it.

Something tells me that my adventures in Mod Podge are just beginning!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Very cool! I like it. :)

Kate Cooper said...

LOVE IT!!!
AND your pictures! How darling!

Clint and Ashleigh said...

Way to go! Ikea is the best place to buy fun fixer-upper furniture.

Yuka.M said...

CUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUTE!!<3<3