Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Busy Weekend!

We had a lot of fun this weekend - yay for Labor Day! Even though I work every day no matter what, it was a lot of fun to have Steven around this weekend. We spent a lot of time together as a family, and as a couple (when Jackson was sleeping). I have always valued our time together because we spent so much time apart in the early years of our relationship.

We had an embarrassing moment this weekend. This weekend kicked off the football season for the NCAA. I tell you, I LOVE my Big 12 football!! My favorite teams to watch are CU, OU, and UT, but I'll watch pretty much any team from Big 12 south. Obviously, as a former CU student, the Buffs are my favorite team!! The season opener is always against CSU (Colorado State - booooo!!) and in recent years, we have have won more often than not. This weekend I was so excited to see the game! I flipped through all the channels and finally found it. Unfortunately, it was a channel we don't get, so Steven (being such a sweetheart!) ordered it for me so I could see the game. I was pumped! GO CU!! I even went and put on one of my Colorado t-shirts to get in the mood for some football. We watched the game and then after we won, I gloated on Facebook.

Sunday morning I woke up and checked my facebook. All of my Colorado friends had messages up saying that they were going to the game. Going? But the game already happened...! Obviously they knew something I didn't. I checked the Buffs athletic site and, sure enough, the game was on Sunday night! I told Steven and we realized that the station we had ordered was playing LAST YEAR'S game!! Needless to say, we felt pretty embarrassed. So, we watched the game on Sunday night after Jackson went to sleep. The Buffs didn't win, but it was fun to watch them play on Folsom field anyways. It was also fun to watch Facebook during the game and see everyone else react to the same things we did. Fingers crossed for a great season, despite the rocky start!

Sunday was my Mom's birthday, so we went to Watter's Creek in Allen (one of our favorite spots!) to have dinner at Brio. My mom had never tried Brio, and I think she really enjoyed it! After dinner we walked around a little and enjoyed the beautiful day. With Steven and Mom in tow, you know we had to stop at Borders. I am not a book person, but they both are. We picked up a couple fun books for Jackson and then went home to put Jackson to bed and watch the REAL CU-CSU game.

We got my mom a necklace and earrings for her birthday, but she also asked for another birthday present: helping her clear out her closet. She had so much in there that it was overflowing into both my dad's closet and the guest room closet! So many clothes and so little space (ha!). We were able to get rid of probably at least half of what was in there. Even though my two most-used phrases were: "When's the last time you wore that?" and "Niecy wouldn't like that!" (I watch too much Clean House, can you tell?), I have to say, my mom was ruthless! She kept adding more and more to the "donation" pile. We ended up donating 1 box, 1 garbage bag, and probably about 20 grocery sacks FULL of clothes. Wow! Some of the fantastic finds of the day: a blue, green, and pink 80s-fabulous fanny pack (donate), a Ducktales mini-duffel bag (donate), a PEO convention presentation (trash), and a few peices of artwork that she had purchased and forgotten about (keep!). The artwork will look great in my old bedroom after we transition it to a guest bedroom (as opposed to a "hold Alison's old junk" room). I also found out that my mom has both her wedding dress and my grandmother's in her closet. I'd like to go back and pull them out to look at them some time, but yesterday we were focused on the task at hand. At the end of the (very long and exhausting) day, all of my mom's clothes had found a home in her closet, her Tom-Tom was installed in her car (thanks Steven!), and we were ready to flop. We were so successful, that I just wanted to keep cleaning and cleaning and organizing and sorting... but instead I went home to relax with my two favorite boys at the end of our busy weekend.

No comments: