Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Do you pin?

I'm not as obsessed with pinterest as some people, but I have the button on my bookmark bar and when there's something I'm especially loving, I make a note of it.

I found this little gem on Thrifty Decor Chick (absolutely worth following if you don't already!) and knew it was going to be our advent calendar this year.


Growing up, I don't think I realized how much thought my mom put in to the different holidays. That is a different post for another time though. One tradition she made sure to follow was the advent calendar. I don't remember exactly, but I feel like she may have gone to a lot of trouble to find advent calendars for us before they were popular in the U.S. I can't find a picture online, but the calendars we had (I'm sure my mom would know the company) had a plastic candy mold inside them, which allowed each piece to be shaped like a different representation of Christmas - an angel, a present, shoes, a candle, etc. The joy was not only in eating the chocolate (which was pretty exciting since we didn't have to wait until after dinner), but also finding out what the shape would be.

So, even though it was a little different this year, I was really excited to share that tradition with Jackson. I thought the craft was a fun way to count down and maybe we could save it to decorate our house in the future.


So this is my version. I found a Santa I liked online and traced him onto a piece of paper, then labeled the colors and cut out the pieces on different colors of scrapbook paper. Then, I typed out the directions (because my three year old can read and all) and printed them out in a cute font (source) and taped it all together while watching a Disney Channel Original movie and waiting for Jackson to wake up from his nap.


At first, Jackson wasn't really in to it, but now he is having a lot of fun with it! He wants to pick out the cotton ball and then I ask him if he wants to squeeze the glue or hold the cotton ball while I squeeze the glue. It goes both ways. Then he places the cotton ball on the Santa or points to where he wants me to place it.


Looking pretty good, Santa!!! This was taken today, so we're a little more than half-way there. I bought the biggest size of cotton balls possible (super crazy jumbo or something like that) because I wanted to use the leftovers for makeup removal, and I think they might be a little too big. If I do this again next year, I think I'll use a smaller size.

Sorry for the cruddy pictures, this is in our front hallway, which doesn't get a lot of light. Also, anyone else think that my Santa looks a little Southpark? I didn't notice that until I was done, but I still like him.

What are some of your favorite Pinterest projects you've taken on?

No comments: