Sorry I have been absent from the blog lately - we have had some major changes going on in our house. Most notably - potty training!!!!! I have dreaded the thought of potty training since last year when a few of Jackson's friends started potty training. At first, I thought "all families do things differently, it's not right for us right now and that's ok" but as time wore on and more and more kids were being potty trained, the mommy-guilt started to creep in. Almost all of his friends were either potty trained or potty training and I was starting to wonder if I had made a mistake in waiting until I thought he was ready. So, one day, I woke up and decided that would be the day to potty train.
Huge mistake.
Totally in line with my character though. I don't think I've ever told anyone this, but I never ever ever read a book about labor and delivery until the morning I was induced with Jackson. No lie. I basically panicked and started cramming as much information as possible into my mind in the two short hours we had to wait until we went to the hospital.

He turned out ok.

Anyway, so the first time around was a total failure because (a) I was unprepared and (b) I wasn't confident in what I was doing and possibly (c) he wasn't ready. But his teacher suggested that we try again during Thanksgiving break, so we did - and he did a great job!!! I won't say he's totally potty-trained - we still put him in pull-ups at nap and night time and I've been sending them to school too, but he is always so proud when he can show me that his underpants are dry.

Yay Jackson! My approach was like this: lots of paper towels, stickers, m&ms, little toys, and underpants. LOTS. It wasn't perfect - one night I definitely put him in a pull-up and poured myself a glass of wine around 5:30pm.
Anyway, one day I was trying to keep him on the potty to go #2 and I decided to ask him some questions. I am tidying the house today, so I am going to record this here so I can get rid of one more piece of paper.

Jackson Haynes, age 3:
Favorite Color: Red
Favorite Animal: Lion or Moose. (the next morning he decided he was afraid of them because a moose was hiding under his bed - ???? whatever.)
Favorite Book: Goodnight Blue
Favorite Toy: Unicorn (the most recent toy he had received for going potty)
Favorite TV Show: Dora the Explorer (duh.)
Favorite Food: Peanut Butter and Honey sandwich on honey wheat Goldfish bread. ("fish sandwich")
Favorite Movie: Winnie the Pooh (??)
Favorite Puzzle: Lightning, Mater, Sally, Doc, and Fillmore book of jigsaw puzzles.
these pictures are from the JCPenney portrait studio :)
No comments:
Post a Comment