Steven's reaction was "We're going to be able to see the conductor sweat!"
The first movement was Beethoven's Leonore Overture No 2, which I don't remember hearing before, but it definitely sounded like Beethoven had composed it. It was the shortest piece of the night. After that, they brought out the guest cellist, Alisa Weilerstein, to perform the solo for Shostakovich's Cello Concerto No. 1. Ok, first of all, she's basically amazing. Second of all, she's only 26. I couldn't believe it! I have a lot of practicing to do over the next two years to catch up with her. Ok, I'm kidding. I suggest that anyone who enjoys classical music check her out because she was really incredible. I could tell that she really felt the music. At the intermission Alissa came out to sign autographs, so we bought her CD and talked with her a little ("You're so amazing... I couldn't take my eyes off of you... but I guess you hear that a lot." I'm such a dork.) and she was really nice.
After intermission, they finished off with Brahms' Symphony No 1. Of course, it was wonderful, but I had wanted to see the guest cellist back again. Steven wants to get season tickets now, but I told him that this would be a "once-in-a-while thing" for me. It was a great "date night" and gave us an excuse to get out of the house and just be us for a few hours. Huge thanks to Steven's grandmothers and his mom for tag-team babysitting our little boy.
1 comment:
Sounds like you both had a great time! I haven't been to a the Dallas Symphony in years and when I went we were no were near the stage...you had great seats!!
Oh and very cute picture of both of you!
Post a Comment