Thursday, May 28, 2009

Project!!

I said that I'd upload pictures of my latest project, but I keep forgetting to do the "after" picture. So, here is the "before" shot:
We got this mirror at the IKEA in Japan. When I first saw it, I LOVED it. After 2 years though... I'm pretty lukewarm about it and have been asking Steven to replace it with something more classic and less whimsical. Since I don't love it like I used to, I thought that this would be a great piece to use to practice my crafty side.

I went to Hobby Lobby (love that store) and bought bronze paint to use to distress the mirror. When I got home, I told Steven my plan and he covered our table with trash bags and removed the mirror from the frame while I was putting Jackson to bed. Have I mentioned lately how much I love my husband? He's so great.


Here is the table (also IKEA... surprise!) covered with trash bags to protect it from my crafty ways!

I applied the paint by kinda punching the frame with the tip if the brush, and then wiping the brush across it in a coupe places. Then I took a paper towel and rubbed off some of the paint. I wish I had thought to get dark brown paint as well. It turned out a little brighter than I had anticipated.


And here's a close-up picture of the detail:

I like how it looks antique now, like we found it in a yard sale and gave it new life. Any IKEA connousieur would still recognize it in a heartbeat, but it was a fun (and cheap!!) way to transform and old piece that I was getting sick of having around.

Next projects: turn Jackson's useless pieces from his crib bedding set into some cute window treatments and build an alphabet book similar to one my mom made when I was a baby.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Nice job! I love it! You should check out this blog for window treatment ideas...she is so creative.

http://nestingplacenc.blogspot.com/

scroll down to window mistreatments on the right.

-Lauren-