We have so many friends who are having babies these days! With that in mind, I thought I'd write out my list of Top Ten Products for nursing mothers. Most of these products were recommended to me while I was pregnant or immediately after Jackson was born, and I don't think we would have had such a successful experience without them! So, here they are:
Alison & Jackson's Top Ten Products for Nursing Mothers
10. Tank Top(s)These come in useful when you're nursing around other people and don't want to let everything (especially that post-baby belly!) hanging out. This tank top is from GAP. I still wear my maternity tank tops (shh! don't tell!), which are also from GAP. I love how long they are!
9. Nursing Bra
This may seem like a "Duh" suggestion, but it makes a big difference! You'll want to look for one in the last 1-2 months of your pregnancy, when your cup size is closest to what it will be post-baby. I found my favorites at Motherhood Maternity, but GAP and Victoria's Secret (and probably several other mainstream retailers) are starting to offer nursing bra options as well. Note: several sources report that underwire bras are not the best for breastfeeding mothers because they have been linked to an increase in blocked ducts, which can lead to infections. I only wear underwire and never had that problem, but it's important to be aware of the risks involved.
8. The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding (from Le Leche League International)I may not always agree with the opinions in this book, but the advice is wonderful. The book discusses different breastfeeding positions, personal stories, and information about pumping/storing breastmilk. Just be prepared - this book presents breastfeeding as the only option for your child (in other words: may induce mom-guilt in people who are on the fence about breastfeeding).
7. LanolinThis is great for tender skin... which is a particular problem when first establishing a nursing relationship with your baby. Careful: it stains.

6. Mother's Milk Tea
What a great way to relax and unwind. This was recommended to me by a friend in Japan and is available at Whole Foods and Market Street. It also helps with milk production, which can be a problem for some women.
5. Phillip's Avent BottlesWe went through SO MANY bottles/nipples to try to find something that Jackson could drink from when I was away. Bottle-fed fluids come out much more quickly than breastfed babies are used to, which can cause choking and panic, especially in young babies. Jackson would scream all through his feedings at his grandparents' house until we got these nipples. We started him on #2, which seemed to be a great match! Dr. Brown's is also supposed to be great for breastfed babies, but we never tried that brand.
4. Arm's Reach Co-SleeperI would recommend this to any new parent, but it's especially nice for nursing moms because since you aren't getting up anyways to make a bottle, there's no need to leave the bed! We have used this both attached to the bed as a "co-sleeper" and not attached as a "bassinet." One concern I had when it was attached was that I might accidentally throw some covers over him during the night, so remember to take that into account as fluffy bedding can be a suffocation hazard to young babies. We transitioned Jackson to his own crib in a separate room at 4 months, but kept this in our room for a few more months for naps and when he was sick/waking up a lot during the night.
3. Bebe au Lait (aka "Hooter Hider") Nursing CoverThis is a must if you plan to venture out in to society. Yes, there is still a stigma surrounding nursing in public, but this is a discreet and comfortable way to feed your baby. Some malls (Stonebriar in Frisco, North Park in Dallas) have "family" or "mother's" rooms, as do Babies R Us. Some places (Motherhood Maternity for example) also offer their fitting rooms for nursing mothers to have some privacy. However, when not in one of these places, the alternative is the (often less-than sparkling) restroom. A nursing cover offers mobile privacy, and the Bebe au Lait has a built-in wire to provide eye contact as well as a terry-cloth corner for spit-up, spills, and dribbles. Not to mention the fun fabrics. :) Yes, not covering up is also a legal option, but a lot of women (me included!) just aren't comfortable with that.
2. BoppyThere are lots of nursing pillows out there, and you have to find the one that works best for you, but the Boppy was great for us! My husband even used it when bottle-feeding Jackson, and my in-laws bought one for their house to take the pressure off their arms/back while holding Jackson. It also doubles as sitting support for wobbly babies and a tummy-time companion. Bonus: there are lots of great covers to choose from. I suggest having at least two... our Boppy covers spent a lot of time in the washer!
1. A high-quality breast pumpI love the Medela Pump-in-Style Advanced. It gets the job done quickly and comes with bottles for storage, a cooler and ice pack for pumped milk when you're on-the-go and a battery pack for portability. I do not recommend a hand-pump if you are planning to pump with any frequency (working moms!).
So that's our top ten. If you're a mom who has breastfed your child, what did you find helpful? Did I leave off any products that would have made your top ten?
1 comment:
Love the list!! Thanks for all the tips! I can't wait for the package, I'll let you know as soon as I get it. :)
Thanks again!
Post a Comment