We like to think that we live in a world where everyone is like us - just trying to make it through life with the best intentions, earning and honest living, and relying on good morals.
Unfortunately, the news story below shows us that that isn't the case.
Mother Finds Own Son for Sale Online
I'm posting this link (I got the link from CNN.com, so it's legit) as a warning to all bloggers, especially those with children. It's scary to know that there are people out there who are trolling blogs with horrible intentions.
I have thought a lot lately about increasing the security on my blog. When we were in the military, we (the civilian community) were always cautioned to keep "OPSEC" (operational security) in mind when talking about what was going on in our lives, especially to anyone outside the community. They reminded us that while talking about one piece of information (ex: "my husband will be leaving for a few months") may not be a big deal, but that that piece of information in addition to several others (the ports he'll be hitting, which ship he's on, etc) could fall in to the wrong hands and cost lives. Simply put: loose lips sink ships. This can also be applied to your blog. For example, you may have your family's name in the title of your blog, plus you may refer to your kids by name, and include pictures of them, and write about the places you enjoy going. If that information were to fall into the wrong hands, it could mean a potentially scary and dangerous situation for your family.
It really makes me sad to think that we may have to increase security on our blog... but I could never forgive myself if something happened to our family as a result of bad judgment on my part.
The other lesson learned here? DO NOT go to Craigslist to adopt a child!!! ALWAYS go through a licensed agency. If money is a concern, there are less expensive options, such as foster-to-adopt programs.
Saturday, August 1, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
How scary. I have a tracker on my blog, and I ususally know at least how people wound up on my site, how long they stayed, and where they live. You should get one, too.
Post a Comment