Friday, November 11, 2011

Thankful Challenge - Day 11

Day 11 - I'm thankful for my freedom.

First of all, Happy Veteran's Day. Where do I even begin? In this country, I am free to pursue an education, speak out against the government, follow the religion of my choice, vote for our government leaders... the list goes on and on. Sadly, this is not the case for billions of people around the world. I was pregnant with Jackson in this picture. My Mom was in town and we stopped to get a picture after giving her a tour of the ship.

I was a senior in high school when the attackers hit the Pentagon and the World Trade Center. So was Steven. He decided to serve in the military, following in his father and grandfathers' footsteps. I took this picture at ground zero in 2006, during our honeymoon to New York City. I never, ever, ever, ever would have chosen that life on my own, but I am so glad I supported him and joined him during his tour in Japan. Military life, while difficult, was such a blessing. It opened my eyes to the sacrifices our service members, their families, and the civilians who support them have to make daily. Believe me - they are real sacrifices. But, they are not sacrifices made in vain. They guarantee our freedom and the freedom of our children. For that, I am thankful every day.

No comments: