Sunday, November 6, 2011

Thankful Challenge

I have seen some people on Facebook doing the "Thankful Challenge." I really like that idea because I feel like it is so easy to find time and energy to focus on what we DON'T have. I don't have this car or that house, I don't have an iPad, my kids don't go to that school, etc. So, I am going to play catch-up and squash 6 things that I'm thankful for into one blog post. Then I'll try to update at least every couple days with things for which I am thankful.

Here goes!

Day 1: I am thankful for my kids.

Jackson is turning 3 this month and Brenna is 3 months (she was 2 months in this picture though). I cannot explain what a blessing these sweet kiddos have been in my life. They have redefined who I am. I remember finding out that I was pregnant with Jackson while I was watching Jay Leno (Miley Cyrus was the guest) and Steven was out to sea. Then we waited a little bit to have Brenna and we tried and tried for months to get pregnant. I remember feeling like I was missing someone I had never met. Brenna was worth the wait and has absolutely filled that void. I am so excited to watch them grow and I am blessed beyond measure to have these sweet, wonderful children.

Day 2: I am thankful for my husband.

Steven and I have been married for almost 6 years. That is totally unbelievable to me. He makes so many things possible. I never would have lived in Japan without him, I wouldn't be able to stay home with my kids without him, and he works so hard to provide for our family. I don't know what I would do without his love and support. We have been through so much together and I am excited to see where life takes us in the future.

Day 3: I am thankful for my parents

These pictures were taken right after Brenna was born. I like to tease my parents by telling them that they have become so much smarter in the past 10 years (since I was in high school). In reality, they were always great parents, I just didn't realize it. They worked hard to provide a loving, safe, secure environment for my sister and me. Even now, they are there to lend a hand whenever we need it and to offer advice and comfort. They are fantastic grandparents and great role models in so many aspects.

Day 4: I am thankful for my in-laws.

Steve and Terri really really love their dolphins. But they also really really REALLY love their grandkids. I love how much they value their relationship with my kids and with me too. They have always gone out of their way to make me feel like part of the family. When we came back from Japan unexpectedly, they offered so much support in order to get us back on our feet. I really lucked-out.

Day 5: I am thankful for my refrigerator.

Several weeks ago, my Dad came home from the grocery store and opened the refrigerator door to find it completely full. I walked over to help him re-arrange and his reaction really surprised me. He said "Wow, how lucky are we that we have too much food in our refrigerator!" It really struck me. I have never had to worry where my next meal would come from and, honestly, I hope I never do. Having said that, people in my family have had to worry about that, and people in our own communities make decisions about buying food or paying for electricity every day. I am so thankful that we are able to have both food in our refrigerator, and the electricity to run it.

Day 6: I am thankful that Starbucks has brought back their red cups and holiday drinks!

I am a Starbucks junkie. It is kind of a problem. I usually order an iced Cinnamon Dolce Latte, but my winter treat is a Peppermint Mocha. Mmmm, warms me through and through. Of course, it is also a great reminder that Christmas is coming.


Day 7: I am thankful for baby cuddles.

I am typing this with one hand because Brenna is holding on to my thumb while she sleeps on the Nap Nanny next to me. She is so soft and snuggly and I know she won't be a baby forever.

What are you thankful for this year?

No comments: