Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Thankful Challenge - Day 15

Day 15 - I'm thankful for P.E.O.

P.E.O. is a philanthropic educational organization of which the women in my family have been members for 4 generations. The philanthropic side of P.E.O. raises funds to provide scholarships and low-interest loans to women who are interested in furthering their education. There are several types of loans and scholarships available to women in all walks of life - traditional, non-traditional, and even international students. P.E.O. also owns Cottey College, a two-year women's liberal arts college. It really is a fantastic organization.

Beyond the philanthropic side is the sisterhood. Like a sorority, we are all sisters and have rituals and secrets, but we are not attached to college and we don't have alumnae because membership is on-going. My mom has been a member of our chapter since before I was born, so I have literally grown up in P.E.O. I really value the relationships I have with women who have watched me grow from an infant to an adult. The women in our chapter genuinely care about each other and have pure hearts. I am constantly amazed by how gracious and sincere they are and it inspires me to be the same.

Last night, our P.E.O. chapter threw a diaper shower for Brenna. What a blessing. We now have piles and piles of diapers in all sizes - Steven was shocked when I came home and asked him to help me get them all in. I brought Brenna to the shower so everyone could meet her, and I didn't even have a chance to hold her - she was in someone else's arms the whole time. Someone even remarked that she would be a 5th generation P.E.O. I feel so blessed by their unconditional love for my kids.

P.E.O. and the women in my chapter are truly such a blessing in my life and always have been, even when I didn't realize it yet.

No comments: