Jackson is twenty-six months old today!!! We missed our Friday play group friends today because I was feeling exhausted from not sleeping very well last night and I wanted to stay close to home, so we went to try an art class at Gymboree.
I won't say it was a total success, but you definitely had fun and made some art pieces that would make your Aunt Emily proud. We even got a surprise visit from Daddy who came to class with us after he was done running his errands!










Jackson, here are your favorite things at 26 months.
1. Chuggington

We're trainees, we're making tracks. Wheels to the rails! Clacketty-clack! The first thing you ask for in the morning is your choo-choos and it's also the last thing you ask for before we put you to bed. You are not allowed to take your choo-choos to bed because you will not go to sleep... instead you turn literally any surface into a "track" and go on adventures with your trains. After seeing how much you loved the show, we went in with your grandparents and bought you a train table, tracks, and several Chuggington trains for your birthday.
Santa brought several of the remaining trains and stock cars for your stocking this Christmas. You have re-purposed several of your toys to better accommodate your love of trains. We thought we bought you a play kitchen for Christmas, but you knew better. It is actually a train garage. You have a Noah's Ark toy from last Christmas. Unfortunately for the animals, you decided it was more important to save your trains from the flood. Sorry giraffes! Sorry Noah! The little Mater toy you received in your stocking at Grandma and Grandpa Scott's house has become the rescue-truck for any "chugger down" on your train table. You know the names of all the engines and you love to connect them to the different cars you have - a fire-fighting car, ice cream cars, a monkey car, and lots more. I secretly hope you never outgrow your trains because I love seeing them bring you so much joy.
2. Books!

Every night we read LOTS of books. I always plan to only read 3 or 4, but you keep handing me more and more, and I always give in. Your favorites change over time, but right now they are Dora Goes for a Ride, The Rhyming Dust Bunnies, The Very Hungry Caterpillar, The Little Mouse, the Red Ripe Strawberry, and the BIG HUNGRY BEAR, and Baby Colors. I don't think I ever get out of your room without reading the first three. You love to help me "read" the parts you remember and point out things that are exciting to you.

The Rhyming Dust Bunnies is probably your all-time favorite, which is so surprising to me. You know which words are coming next, when to scream "Ahhhhh!" and when to say "Help" at the end. I think you could say the whole book by memory if you wanted to. Story time is one of my favorite parts of the day.
3. Your dogs
Macy and Val Pal are our family's doggies. Macy is a german shepard/lab mix and Val Pal is a beagle. They both came from the Wylie Animal Shelter, but that is where their similarities end. Val sleeps a lot and is pretty calm for the most part. She goes outside to potty, but wants to come inside almost immediately. She doesn't chew on anything (except food) and has to be in the right mood to play.
Macy, on the other hand, is all DOG. She loves being outside, loves to dig and chase things, and chews any and everything she gets her teeth on, which drives Mommy and Daddy crazy. She is always in a playful mood and you love to throw things for her and squeal at her to get her to chase you. You love on Val, giving her kisses and gentle pats, but Macy is your play mate. You always want to pick out new toys for Macy at Target, and she destroys them almost as soon as she gets them.
4. Your friends
You have so many friends! You have friends at Friday Play Group, at Gymboree, and at Play Day (your preschool program). You know a lot of their names and love to play with them - especially your friends who like to run around and yell like you do! You really love to share your toys with your friends, but sometimes you forget that you let your friend borrow a toy and you try to take it back without asking. For the most part though, you really try to play nicely. I don't see you being the type of kid who will get shoved around though. You have a lot of confidence, and recently have started asking me if you can "try" different things. You have also learned to be more gentle when giving your friends hugs. You used to push a little too hard and knock over whoever you were trying to hug, but now you are a lot better at keeping your balance. I love that you are already so social and so comfortable with who you are.
5. Putting things away
I don't know where you got this from, but you LOVE to put things away. I do not, as you can tell by the state of our house. If I need you to clean up, you will almost always do it. Last night you stacked your books as I was reading to you, and you are so great at helping put up the maracas and other toys at Gymboree. All you have to hear is "Away?" and you are in pick-up mode. I really should harness this and start having you put away your toys at the end of the day. You are really good at putting your toys away at the end of your bath though. You also love to throw things away. You will empty out a plastic bag just so you can throw it away. You always ask me, "Bleh?" and point to the trash can. Usually you are so helpful, but sometimes it's not something that I wanted you to throw away.
6. Dora and Diego

Go Diego Go and Dora the Explorer are two of your favorite shows, and it shows while you're playing as well. When we are driving, you will yell "Go cars!" or "Go Mama!" or any other variation on the "Go Diego Go" theme song. You also sing along to the song and point out all of your favorite animals and characters. At the end, you yell "Wheee!" like Diego does. You love Dora too, and your favorite song is "We did it!" You jump around saying "Did it! did it! whooo!" Every time it comes on. The only thing I don't like about these shows is your recent interest in Swiper the Fox. You must think he is really funny, because sometimes you knock things over or throw them and say "Nowww, Ha-ha-ha!" the way Swiper says "Now you'll never find it! Ha-ha-ha!" It's kind of funny, but I have to remind you that Swiper isn't very nice and it's better to act like Dora or Diego. You also have started to say "Ohhh man!" Like Swiper does, which is pretty cute because you don't do anything mean or destructive along with it.
So, that's what you love these days. We love continuing to get to know you, even though I am starting to understand why these are called the "Terrible Twos." I think they are the "Wonderful Twos with Some Very Challenging Moments" - haha! One thing is for sure - you are a happy, confident, social, independent kiddo and you Daddy and I couldn't be more in love with you!!
No comments:
Post a Comment