Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Another Day, Still No Pictures

Well, this morning was... fun...

Jackson and I went to the library to meet our Friday playgroup friends for story time! Usually, we meet some of them for coffee first and then walk over, but it was just too cold today. Instead, we headed straight to the library and hit a drive-through Starbucks on the way. Yum!

Unfortunately, this didn't give Jackson a chance to get his wiggles out with his friends before story time, so he decided to do it during story time. I don't think the story time leader was very amused. I wasn't either. We left twice to have time-out, and the second time I made him sit outside until it was over. I am shaking my head just thinking about it. Today was one of those days that I really felt lost in my parenting abilities. I try so hard to balance discipline with love and security and sometimes I just feel like a total failure. I want to wear a sign that says "I am trying, I promise!!"

After story time was over, we stuck around and let the kids run around in the story time room. We even closed the door at one point so the kids would stop running out in to the rest of the library. I'm not sure how the staff felt about it, but I was so grateful to give Jackson a chance to run around with his friends while I got to catch up with mine!! Those mamas keep me sane and grounded and I can say things to them that I couldn't tell people who don't have toddlers. They really get it.

After story time, we headed home to see our favorite Daddy! He had a couple inspections this morning, so he left early and wasn't able to help me get out the door. This is something I'll have to get used to since he starts back to school next week - ughhhh! It has been so nice to have him around to help out this past month. I am so blessed to have a husband who puts Jackson and me first in his life. As I collapsed on the couch, Steven fed Jackson and put him down for a nap. Jackson decided to protest, so I headed up there to lay down with him and help him calm down long enough to get to sleep. By the time I came back downstairs, I had another sleeping guy and two sleeping doggies on my hands! Steven went upstairs to sleep in our bed, and I spent the next 2 1/2 hours (!!!) alone in the quiet. I didn't even know what to do with myself!

Finally, they woke up around 4:30 and we headed to Nordstrom to use the rest of my gift card. My sister got me a pair of boots for Christmas, but when they arrived they were the wrong size and color (even though the box had the right size and color on it). So by the time I exchanged them, the price had dropped, so they put the balance on a gift card! It turned out to be a great mix-up. Since we seem to always be looking for Jackson's shoes (he wore crocs and socks this Sunday in the freezing rain since we couldn't find real shoes and we were running late - ahhhh!), I thought we should use the gift card to get him properly measured and into a new pair of shoes. He is a 7-7 1/2, which means he moved up to the so-called "big boy table" and the sales associate recommended a pair of shoes that were just perfect. Lightweight, good shape, and less than the balance on the gift card! I still have $1.30 left to spend... decisions, decisions.

Tomorrow Jackson goes back to preschool after having missed Monday due to the snow. The Coloradan in me was rolling my eyes at the roads that had schools all over Texas closed for the day. This from the girl who used to wear flip-flops year-round, even if there was snow on the ground. Anyway, I will try to remember to get photos of him tomorrow.

1 comment:

Ashley and Matt Sheehan said...

I hear ya, girl. We have those days and moments. I'm sure storytime lady lovessss our entire rowdy bunch :)